Rotational Banner

Friday, July 8, 2011

Getting to know my Subaru

It feels really good when you set a time to just sit down and work on your car, doesn't it? This is the first modification that required me to get to know my car. By that, I mean, unbolting, removing, and just really dismantling the car and putting it back together again. There will be more of this as time goes on of course, but as I have only owned this car for a month, it's definately a special bonding time for me.




First off, I would like to say, the Subaru community has made an awesome section for DIYs available online. Frankly I think there isn't any room for my work, but I'll make the best of it. This modification idea came from my friend who owns a 2010 Subaru Impreza STI. Since he has owned the car a lot longer than me, he had informed me that all of the STIs have a huge "milk jug" attached to the intake called the intake silencer. He told me that I should look it up online, and this immediately intrigued me.

On the same day, I went online and did a search. Much to my surprise, this was indeed infact true! People have been doing this to their cars to enhance the volume of the turbos. There is no logical way it would make your car lose power, nor gain any power, so it was purely for the sound. I decided to do this for the sound, but mainly, so I had an excuse to take apart the car.

Does this actually work? Yes, infact it does work. I, myself, my brother, and a few other passengers that have sat in this car before and after the silencer delete have stated that the Turbo sounds much louder. For the people who have done it and can't hear the difference, there is two possible reasons I can think of: You have an after market exhaust which drowns out the turbo spool, or your RPM isn't high enough when you are trying it. The sound is really apparent when your RPMs are around 4.5k to redline. I've tried with both windows down and up, so believe me, it works.

There are actually some product manufacturers who sell aftermarket intake elbows. Basically it's exactly what we were left with, just without the silencer. They sell these things for as high as $100! Seriously? No seriously, if you are looking into more sound on your stock car, do this mod. It's free! lol.

Also, the sound doesn't get annoying either. On daily driving commutes, it will not effect any sound. As long as your turbo is prevented from spooling really fast, you won't hear a difference. For some, that is a bonus. I mean, I'm all for loud cars, but sometimes it actually gets really tiring. I don't know what you guys think, but that's just my opinion.

That's it for this mod! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me in anyway you find necessary, and I will help you out. =) Please support Machine Zealots by Subscribing to the Youtube channel, and joining our Facebook page.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave questions or comments!