Rotational Banner

Monday, June 24, 2013

Much needed Modifications

I have to say, the 2006 WRX STI is a very great car to boot. Having some experience taking this car to the autocross course really shows you the strengths and the weaknesses of the STI. The car comes with everything you need to go fast from factory: A set of super sticky summer tires, large Brembo brakes, 300 horsepower and 300 ft-lbs of torque, and a relatively light curb weight for an AWD car weighing at 3350 lbs. It's very fast, fun to drive, and it looks extremely handsome without having to look too flashy.

However, just like any car, it has its own fair share of downsides. One of the greatest weaknesses of this STI is that it is prone to understeering. However, once you are familiar with the car, and how to shift the weight of the car properly, understeer doesn't seem too big of a problem. Another weakness is that the peak boost takes slightly too long to reach (a.k.a. Turbo Lag). Again, all of these inherent car weaknesses can be overcome if the driver learns better car control.


The stock car has a lot of body roll, it was very apparent while I was driving, but since I was used to it, it didn't slow me down too much. However, many pictures that were taken of this STI reveals that it could use some suspension modifications. I suppose some sway bars, end links, and maybe a coilover setup wouldn't hurt huh? Don't worry, all these things will come in time.

As my aftermarket parts from Apex Performance are coming in the mail, I'm going to enjoy this car for what it is while I still have it. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave questions or comments!